Another month has passed and it’s time for an update on my goals! If you’d like to read more about how I decided on these goals, check out my 2017 S.M.A.R.T. Goals post from January. Read on to see my progress over the last month.
Life has been a little crazy around here, as I’m sure you can tell by my posts about how to help a friend in crisis and how to save money when life sucks. I haven’t made as much progress as I’d like on my goals, but I have still made some progress.
2017 Goals for the Smart Family Money Blog
I’m mainly working on increasing the traffic to Smart Family Money. My traffic has grown much faster than I anticipated!
- Increase blog traffic to 10,000 monthly page views by December 2017.
- December 2016 Goal: 1,500, Actual: 3,201
- January 2017 Goal: 1,800, Actual: 3,931
- February 2017 Original Goal: 2,100, Stretch Goal: 4,000, Actual: 7,473
- March 2017 Goal: 2,500, New Stretch Goal: 8,220, Actual: 7,626 (Met the goal, but missed the stretch goal)
- April 2017 Goal: 2,900, Stretch Goal: 8,388 (+10% of March)
- May 2017 Goal: 3,400
- June 2017 Goal: 3,900
- July 2017 Goal: 4,600
- August 2017 Goal: 5,400
- September 2017 Goal: 6,300
- October 2017 Goal: 7,300
- November 2017 Goal: 8,500
- December 2017 Goal: 10,000
- Email List: 200 subscribers. If you’re interested, sign up here for my email list.
- December 2016: 37
- January 2017: 60
- February 2017: 97
- March 2017: 114 Good progress!
- Facebook Likes: 350. If you’d like to help me reach this goal, please like my Facebook page.
- December 2016: 115
- January 2017: 136 (370 group members)
- February 2017: 245 (395 group members)
- March 2017: 250 (412 group members) Looking good to reach this goal!
- Pinterest Followers: 5,000. If you’d like to help me reach this goal, please follow me on Pinterest.
- December 2016: 1,626
- January 2017: 1,761
- February 2017: 1,834
- March 2017: 1,950 (This needs some work if I’m going to make it!)
- Guest post: Publish at least 6 guest posts on other blogs during 2017
- Videos: Conquer my fear of video and publish at least 1 video per month in 2017.
- Networking: Attend FinCon personal finance blogger conference in October 2017.
- December 2016: Bought my conference pass and reserved a hotel room. Working on earning some travel rewards to help pay for the trip!
- January 2017: Continuing to work on my travel rewards. I have enough airline miles for a free flight to the conference.
- February 2017: I’m enjoying getting to know other financial bloggers through the online FinCon group.
- March 2017: Booked my plane ticket to Dallas with free airline miles! I can’t wait!
Most Popular Blog Posts of March 2017
In case you missed them, here were my most popular new blog posts of March 2017:
- Readers really responded to my post about how I make one roll of paper towels last a year.
- In honor of my daughter’s birthday, I wrote about the money lessons I learned in 9 years of motherhood.
- I got a big response on Facebook to my post about how the Costco return policy is tricking you (and me!).
- Of course, I already mentioned how I wrote about how to help a friend in crisis on a tight budget.
Personal 2017 Goals
- Plan, save up for, and go on a 15th wedding anniversary celebration trip.
- January 2017: No progress on this except for working on my travel rewards.
- February 2017: No update.
- March 2017: Lots of discussion and disagreements about where we should go!
- April 2017: We finally decided on a trip to Northern Michigan! We booked a beautiful, romantic Airbnb in June. I can’t wait!
- Monthly parent/child one-on-one “date”.
- January 2017: We kicked this one off with a bang! I took my daughter on a 5-day trip to NYC alone. We visited friends, saw the Statue of Liberty, visited the 9/11 memorial, and went to the top of the Empire State Building! It was incredible and something that neither of us will ever forget. My husband and son stayed home for an epic boys’ weekend, including laser tag, bowling, and a movie. We will not be doing kid dates as big as this in the future, but it was a fun start to the year.
- February 2017: I took my son to the USAF Museum and my husband took our daughter on a fun Pokémon GO adventure downtown. I posted a picture in my post about the ways I saved in February.
- March 2017: My son wanted to take a turn with the Pokémon GO adventure downtown with Dad. My daughter and I did something new and went to a paint-your-own-pottery place. I made a mug for myself and she made a mug for Grandma. We already have big plans to go back again soon!
- Replace upstairs carpet.
- January 2017: We actually took a step backward on this one. Our basement TV (the one used for video games) died this month. We decided to spend part of our home improvement money on a new TV, since we didn’t want to do the carpet until the nicer weather anyway. We have to rebuild our sinking fund again. It’s a small set-back, but we can roll with the punches!
- February 2017: We have started organizing and cleaning out to get ready for the new carpet in the next few months.
- March 2017: No progress during our crazy month.
Whew, looking back on March makes me realize what a crazy month it was. I’m excited that my progress on my goals is all either moving forward or on pause. Thank you for reading and keeping me accountable. I have some catching up to do in a few areas and I’m going to get on it!
How are your goals coming along? Did you make some progress in March?