I can’t believe it’s May! Spring has sprung here in Central Ohio and the school year is almost over. It’s time for an update on my goals! If you’d like to read more about how I decided on these goals, check out my 2017 S.M.A.R.T. Goals post from January. Read on to see my progress over the last month.
Life has continued to be crazy around here. Thankfully, I got released from the walking boot, but I’m still working on fully recovering from my foot injury. There’s also a lot going on in our personal lives… I guess I’m just saying it’s been a crazy year! While I’ve changed course a bit on some goals, I’m happy with the progress I’ve made on others:
2017 Goals for the Smart Family Money Blog
I’m totally amazed that I hit my December traffic goal in April! That’s just crazy!
Increase Blog Traffic to 10,000 Monthly Page Views
- December 2016 Goal: 1,500, Actual: 3,201
- January 2017 Goal: 1,800, Actual: 3,931
- February 2017 Goal: 2,100, Stretch Goal: 4,000, Actual: 7,473
- March 2017 Goal: 2,500, Stretch Goal: 8,220, Actual: 7,626
- April 2017 Goal: 2,900, Stretch Goal: 8,388, Actual: 10,446 (MET MY DECEMBER GOAL!!!)
- May 2017 Goal: 3,400, Stretch Goal: 10,446 (to match April while slowing down a bit for summer)
- June 2017 Goal: 3,900
- July 2017 Goal: 4,600
- August 2017 Goal: 5,400
- September 2017 Goal: 6,300
- October 2017 Goal: 7,300
- November 2017 Goal: 8,500
- December 2017 Goal: 10,000
Email List: 200 Subscribers
If you’re interested, sign up here for my email list.
- December 2016: 37
- January 2017: 60
- February 2017: 97
- March 2017: 114
- April 2017: 128
Facebook Likes: 350
If you’d like to help me reach this goal, please like my Facebook page.
- December 2016: 115
- January 2017: 136 (370 group members)
- February 2017: 245 (395 group members)
- March 2017: 250 (412 group members)
- April 2017: 270 (408 group members) – The group has had a lot of spam lately and I’ve had to delete a lot of members.
Pinterest Followers: 5,000
If you’d like to help me reach this goal, please follow me on Pinterest.
- December 2016: 1,626
- January 2017: 1,761
- February 2017: 1,834
- March 2017: 1,950
- April 2017: 1,881 – Pinterest has been deleting a lot of spam accounts, so that’s the reason for the decrease.
Guest post: Publish At Least 6 Guest Posts
- January 2017: No progress.
- February 2017: No progress yet.
- March 2017: While it’s not a full guest post, I was featured in a post called Life Skills for Ladies on the Feminine Pilgrimage.
- April 2017: I wrote and submitted a guest post that got rejected. I got some feedback and I’m looking to resubmit it soon, though!
Videos: Publish At Least 1 Video Per Month
- January 2017: 3 Facebook Live Videos! One was about the debt snowball, one was about these goals, and the last was about toilet paper.
- February 2017: Had my local TV debut! I also did a FB Live video about DIY Income Taxes.
- March 2017: No new videos.
- April 2017: Smart Family Money 1st anniversary video on FB Live about the biggest money challenges of middle-class families.
Networking: Attend FinCon Financial Blogger Conference in October 2017
- December 2016: Bought my conference pass and reserved a hotel room. Working on earning some travel rewards to help pay for the trip!
- January 2017: Continuing to work on my travel rewards. I have enough airline miles for a free flight to the conference.
- February 2017: I’m enjoying getting to know other financial bloggers through the online FinCon group.
- March 2017: Booked my plane ticket to Dallas with free airline miles! I can’t wait!
- April 2017: Went to a local FinCon meet-up and got to meet the creators of Femme Frugality, SawyerPF, Ntellivest, and Amanda Page (formerly Dream Beyond Debt). It was so great to finally meet some bloggers in real life!
— femmefrugality (@femmefrugality) April 29, 2017
Most Popular Blog Posts of April 2017
In case you missed them, here were my most popular new blog posts of April 2017:
- Inspired my personal challenges lately, I wrote about 7 Ways to Save Money When Life Sucks. This post has been clicked on hundreds of times on Pinterest!
- Readers have continued to enjoy my savings idea series with my post about 5 Ways I Saved Money in March.
- It feels like half of my town is preparing to move right now, so it was fun to write about 10 Easy Ways to Save Money on Your Move.
- For those who wonder how their budget compares to others, check out my post about budget category percentages.
- I also shared my experience with the Walmart Vision Center warranty, as my adventures with a young son in glasses continue!
Personal 2017 Goals
Take 15th Wedding Anniversary Trip
- January 2017: No progress on this except for working on my travel rewards.
- February 2017: No update.
- March 2017: Lots of discussion and disagreements about where we should go!
- April 2017: We finally decided on a trip to Northern Michigan! We booked a beautiful, romantic Airbnb in June.
- May 2017: Everything is ready and the budget should be fully funded!
Monthly Parent/Child One-On-One “Date”
- January 2017: We kicked this one off with a bang! I took my daughter on a 5-day trip to NYC alone. We visited friends, saw the Statue of Liberty, visited the 9/11 memorial, and went to the top of the Empire State Building! It was incredible and something that neither of us will ever forget. My husband and son stayed home for an epic boys’ weekend, including laser tag, bowling, and a movie. We will not be doing kid dates as big as this in the future, but it was a fun start to the year.
- February 2017: I took my son to the USAF Museum and my husband took our daughter on a fun Pokémon GO adventure downtown. I posted a picture in my post about the ways I saved in February.
- March 2017: My son wanted to take a turn with the Pokémon GO adventure downtown with Dad. My daughter and I did something new and went to a paint-your-own-pottery place. I made a mug for myself and she made a mug for Grandma.
- April 2017: We had the same partners as last month because the guys had big plans! My daughter and I returned to paint some more pottery while the guys went to Monter Jam! Here are some pictures of their adventure:
Replace Upstairs Carpet
- January 2017: We actually took a step backward on this one. Our basement TV (the one used for video games) died this month. We decided to spend part of our home improvement money on a new TV, since we didn’t want to do the carpet until the nicer weather anyway. We have to rebuild our sinking fund again. It’s a small setback, but we can roll with the punches!
- February 2017: We have started organizing and cleaning out to get ready for the new carpet in the next few months.
- March 2017: No progress.
- April 2017: We’ve continued the cleaning out process, but we’ve put the carpet plans on hold for now. The budget is fully funded, but we have some reasons for wanting to wait a while.
It’s exciting to see how far I’ve come with my goals this year! A little bit of progress every month adds up to a lot! Thanks for keeping me accountable and following along on my journey.
How are your goals coming along? Did you make some progress in April?