It is June, the kids are out of school, and I have slowed down on the blog. Right now, I need to focus on my family responsibilities and spending time with my kids. If you’d like to read more about how I decided on these goals, check out my 2017 S.M.A.R.T. Goals post from January. Read on to see my progress over the last month.
2017 Goals for the Smart Family Money Blog
My slow down in work has decreased the blog traffic. This is a bit disheartening but I know I can bring it back. I plan to be full steam ahead in the fall.
Increase Blog Traffic to 10,000 Monthly Page Views
- December 2016 Goal: 1,500, Actual: 3,201
- January 2017 Goal: 1,800, Actual: 3,931
- February 2017 Goal: 2,100, Stretch Goal: 4,000, Actual: 7,473
- March 2017 Goal: 2,500, Stretch Goal: 8,220, Actual: 7,626
- April 2017 Goal: 2,900, Stretch Goal: 8,388, Actual: 10,446
- May 2017 Goal: 3,400, Stretch Goal: 10,446, Actual: 7,900
- June 2017 Goal: 3,900
- July 2017 Goal: 4,600
- August 2017 Goal: 5,400
- September 2017 Goal: 6,300
- October 2017 Goal: 7,300
- November 2017 Goal: 8,500
- December 2017 Goal: 10,000
Email List: 200 Subscribers
If you’re interested, sign up here for my email list.
- December 2016: 37
- January 2017: 60
- February 2017: 97
- March 2017: 114
- April 2017: 128
- May 2017: 135
Facebook Likes: 350
If you’d like to help me reach this goal, please like my Facebook page.
- December 2016: 115
- January 2017: 136 (370 group members)
- February 2017: 245 (395 group members)
- March 2017: 250 (412 group members)
- April 2017: 270 (408 group members)
- May 2017: 277
Pinterest Followers: 5,000
If you’d like to help me reach this goal, please follow me on Pinterest.
- December 2016: 1,626
- January 2017: 1,761
- February 2017: 1,834
- March 2017: 1,950
- April 2017: 1,881
- May 2017: 1,923
Guest post: Publish At Least 6 Guest Posts
- January 2017: No progress.
- February 2017: No progress yet.
- March 2017: While it’s not a full guest post, I was featured in a post called Life Skills for Ladies on the Feminine Pilgrimage.
- April 2017: I wrote and submitted a guest post that got rejected.
- May 2017: No progress
Videos: Publish At Least 1 Video Per Month
- January 2017: 3 Facebook Live Videos! One was about the debt snowball, one was about these goals, and the last was about toilet paper.
- February 2017: Had my local TV debut! I also did a FB Live video about DIY Income Taxes.
- March 2017: No new videos.
- April 2017: Smart Family Money 1st anniversary video on FB Live about the biggest money challenges of middle-class families.
- May 2017: No progress.
Networking: Attend FinCon Financial Blogger Conference in October 2017
- December 2016: Bought my conference pass and reserved a hotel room. Working on earning some travel rewards to help pay for the trip!
- January 2017: Continuing to work on my travel rewards. I have enough airline miles for a free flight to the conference.
- February 2017: I’m enjoying getting to know other financial bloggers through the online FinCon group.
- March 2017: Booked my plane ticket to Dallas with free airline miles! I can’t wait!
- April 2017: Went to a local FinCon meet-up and got to meet the creators of Femme Frugality, SawyerPF, Ntellivest, and Amanda Page (formerly Dream Beyond Debt).
- May 2017: Ready to go!
Most Popular Blog Posts of May 2017
In case you missed them, here were my most popular new blog posts of May 2017:
- For folks that might be looking for a less expensive ballet flat shoe, I wrote about Tieks Alternatives.
- Many people enjoy my quick tip on how to save 25% on paint costs.
- I love Kerrygold butter and I’m not alone! I was excited to finally find a butter dish for Kerrygold butter.
Personal 2017 Goals
Take 15th Wedding Anniversary Trip
- January 2017: No progress on this except for working on my travel rewards.
- February 2017: No update.
- March 2017: Lots of discussion and disagreements about where we should go!
- April 2017: We finally decided on a trip to Northern Michigan! We booked a beautiful, romantic Airbnb in June.
- May 2017: Everything is ready and the budget is fully funded!
Monthly Parent/Child One-On-One “Date”
- January 2017: We kicked this one off with a bang! I took my daughter on a 5-day trip to NYC alone. We visited friends, saw the Statue of Liberty, visited the 9/11 memorial, and went to the top of the Empire State Building! It was incredible and something that neither of us will ever forget. My husband and son stayed home for an epic boys’ weekend, including laser tag, bowling, and a movie. We will not be doing kid dates as big as this in the future, but it was a fun start to the year.
- February 2017: I took my son to the USAF Museum and my husband took our daughter on a fun Pokémon GO adventure downtown. I posted a picture in my post about the ways I saved in February.
- March 2017: My son wanted to take a turn with the Pokémon GO adventure downtown with Dad. My daughter and I did something new and went to a paint-your-own-pottery place. I made a mug for myself and she made a mug for Grandma.
- April 2017: We had the same partners as last month because the guys had big plans! My daughter and I returned to paint some more pottery while the guys went to Monter Jam.
- May 2017: We skipped our kid date in favor of a fun family weekend trip. We went to Chicago to see the city and visit my niece. Here is a picture from our trip:
Replace Upstairs Carpet
- January 2017: We actually took a step backward on this one. Our basement TV (the one used for video games) died this month. We decided to spend part of our home improvement money on a new TV, since we didn’t want to do the carpet until the nicer weather anyway. We have to rebuild our sinking fund again. It’s a small setback, but we can roll with the punches!
- February 2017: We have started organizing and cleaning out to get ready for the new carpet in the next few months.
- March 2017: No progress.
- April 2017: We’ve continued the cleaning out process, but we’ve put the carpet plans on hold for now.
- May 2017: Fully funded but on hold.
It’s tough to see that I have moved a bit backward on my blog goals. I know that I am doing the right thing for my family though. I am going to skip the July goal update, but this feature will return in August. Thanks for keeping me accountable and following along on my journey.
How are your goals coming along? Did you make some progress in May? Are you slowing down in the summer too?