Are you wondering, “What Can I Sell to Make Money TODAY?” Do you need some money right now? Are you trying to avoid debt or build up your savings?
If you’re looking around your house trying to figure out what you can sell, I’ll save you some time by helping you find things will sell locally and quickly.
I’ve sold SO MANY things on Craigslist and Facebook and I’ve learned what kinds of things sell fast. I’ll help you find items around your home that will sell in 1-2 days (or hours, if you’re lucky!).
I’ll share a few of my personal favorite deals at the bottom of the post.
Where Can I Sell Things to Make Money NOW?
Besides being faster than selling things on eBay or Amazon, Craigslist and Facebook also don’t take any fees out of your sales price, so you keep more money in your pocket.
The downside to local sales places is that specialized items don’t tend to sell because it’s harder to find a buyer. For example, you may not be able to sell your antique Civil War rifle on your local Craigslist. You also may not be able to get quite as high of prices in a local group compared to eBay or Amazon.
What Are the Best Things to Sell to Make Money FAST?
What things sell most quickly? The things that sell very quickly tend to fall into three categories:
- Household necessities – things you need when setting up a home.
- Baby & kid necessities – items that are needed for a child.
- Highly desired luxuries – hot brands and expensive luxuries that many people can’t afford to buy new
Keep in mind that you shouldn’t attempt to sell things that are too small or cheap because people rarely want to come across town for a $5 item.
For example, if you’re going to sell kids’ clothing, you would want to sell a “lot” (collection) of items instead of single items. 20 items of size 3t clothing for $20 is more likely to sell than all of those items individually.
If you have a large number of small kids’ items, you might want to consider selling them in a kids’ consignment sale instead. For small household items, consider hosting a garage sale.
How Should I Price My Items?
It can be a little tricky to figure out what to price to ask for the items you want to sell.
Here’s my process for pricing something to sell:
- Find the regular retail price for the item. If it’s an item no longer sold, consider what something with similar qualities would sell for today.
- Consider the condition of the item. Is it like new, average, or well-used?
- If the item is like-new, I start at 50% of retail. If it’s an average used condition, I start at 25% of retail price.
- Then I consider the demand for the item. I raise or lower the price based on how quickly similar items sell.
- Finally, I consider how quickly I want it to sell. If I’m OK with it sitting around for a while, I start a bit higher. If I want it gone today, I go a little lower.
What Can I Sell to Make Money TODAY?
- Kitchen table
- Pull-out sofa
- End table
- Coffee table
- TV stand (modern style only)
- Patio furniture
Storage and Organization items
- Storage bins
- Major appliances – washer & dryer, stove, refrigerator
- Kitchen appliances – microwave, mixer, blender, coffee maker
- Household appliances – air conditioner, heater, humidifier
Outdoor Power Equipment
Baby & Kids Necessities
Baby & Kids’ Furniture
- Crib (make sure it meets safety standards)
- Changing table
- Rocker / glider
- Bunk bed
- Toddler bed
- Car seat (unexpired and not been in an accident)
- Bouncy seat
- Pack & Play
- Baby gates
- Diapers (cloth or open packages of disposables)
Baby & Kids’ Clothes
- Lots (collections) of one size of clothing
- Shoes & boots
- Halloween costumes
- A “lot” of one size of maternity clothes
- Accessories (belly band, etc)
- Nursing bras & clothes
Highly Desired Luxuries
Expensive Brand-Name Toys
- Fisher Price
- American Girl
- Hot Wheels
- Play mobil
- Kids’ bike
- Tricycle or other ride-on toys
- Adult Bike
- Stationary Bike
- Christmas tree
- Outdoor lights
- Christmas village houses
Home Improvement Supplies
- Used bricks & pavers (surprisingly valuable!)
- Stereo Equipment
- Cell Phone
- Any Apple device
Outdoor Play Equipment
- Swing Set
- Toy picnic table
- Video game systems
- Handheld systems
Hot Brand-name Clothes and Handbags
- North face coats
- Under Armour sweatshirts
- Coach purses
My Best Selling Success Stories
I’ve sold many, many things on Craigslist over the years. Here are some of the favorite things I’ve sold:
- A car-shaped toddler bed: I bought it at a resale shop for $40, used it for a few years, and sold it on Craigslist for $40
- A futon: I thought it was uncomfortable, so I sold it for $100 and bought a sofa on Craigslist that was much more comfortable for $100.
- An outdoor playhouse: I pulled it from a neighbor’s trash, used it for a few years, and sold it for $40
- Bricks: We tore out a brick patio and were trying to figure out how to dispose of them when we realized we could sell them. Someone happily bought them for $150 to make a fire ring!
Latest posts by Cindy Scott (see all)
- The BEST Cheaper Alternatives to 10 of Your Favorite Brands - March 11, 2019
- 9 of the BEST Cheaper Alternatives to Ray-Ban Sunglasses - March 8, 2019
- 3 of the BEST Cheaper Alternatives to ENO Hammocks for Casual Relaxing - March 7, 2019