When my daughter was born in 2008, I quit my job and fulfilled my dream of becoming a stay-at-home mom. After a few months of living on one salary, we realized we were barely making it from paycheck to paycheck. It became clear that something had to change with our finances!
I set out to learn as much as I could about personal finance. Soon, we were living on a budget and taking control of our money. We replaced both of our cars with old clunkers and started paying down our debt.
Today, we are completely debt-free, other than our house. You can read more here about our bumpy road to debt freedom. Now, we are living much BETTER on one income than we ever did on two. We have a fully funded emergency fund, money set aside for our next (cash!) car purchase, we’re saving for college, and preparing for retirement. We drive decent (older) cars, eat good food, do plenty of fun things, and even take vacations!
I’ve come to realize that how much money a family brings home is less important than how they manage it. I created this blog to help families get control of their money, so it doesn’t control them.
Want to know a little more about me? Here are some fun facts:
- I grew up in a small town on Lake Erie, near Cleveland.
- I played Liesl in the Sound of Music in high school… and I actually was 16, going on 17!
- I love homemade chocolate chip cookies.
- I’ve been an exchange student twice: in England for 3 weeks in high school and in Germany for a semester in college.
- I love board games.
- My birthday is in January, and I think it’s a terrible time of year for a birthday!
- I got married when I was 22 years old.
- I enjoy photography.
- I have a Papillon dog. I love him because he’s adorable and crazier than me.
- I love helping people learn how to manage their finances!