Note: This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on them and buy anything at all, I'll get a small commission from the sale (at no additional cost to you). For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Anyone with kids knows that batteries are a necessary item to have on hand. Doesn’t it seem like kids run on batteries? I remember when we got a children’s play kitchen for our kids. I think it took 20 batteries for all the little sound effects. And don’t get me started on remote-controlled cars! These days, the most common use in our house is Xbox and Wii controllers.
Because we go through our fair share of batteries, I’m always on the lookout for the best deal. I recently got a Costco membership since there’s a new warehouse opening close to my house and they were offering very attractive deals for new members. I plan to write more about whether Costco is the best deal on a variety of items.
Today’s focus is AA batteries! One of my new member perks was a coupon for a free pack of 72 AA batteries. Free is always going to be the best deal, but I wanted to see if it’s normally a better deal than Amazon, where I’ve usually bought batteries. Here’s the rundown:
- Costco was $18.99 for 72 AA batteries, which works out to $0.26/battery
- Amazon’s best price right now (and we know their prices can change hourly) is a 48 pack of AA AmazonBasics batteries for $13.49 for a one-time purchase ($0.28/battery) or $12.82 for subscribe & save ($0.27/battery) or it can be cheaper if you order in a subscribe & save bundle with 5 or more items.
So who wins? Costco wins by a hair for a one time purchase, BUT don’t forget the membership cost and the transportation cost of getting to the store. Amazon will ship them to you for free if you order as subscribe & save, or as part of a order of over $49 in items, or as part of Amazon Prime (which costs $99/year). If you do not meet one of those criteria you will have to pay shipping, which eliminates much of the cost savings.
Costco is the better deal if you’re already a member and already at the store. Otherwise, Amazon is a pretty great deal too. Both are MUCH better than the typical cost at a grocery store of over $0.50/battery.
Where have you found the best prices on AA batteries? Please comment below!
Latest posts by Cindy Scott (see all)
- Prime Wardrobe Review: A Good Choice for Busy Moms? - May 3, 2019
- 3 Awesome Converse Alternatives That Are Actually Comfortable - April 26, 2019
- 10 Easy Ways to Save Money on Your Move - April 15, 2019