This is my second post in my series about toilet paper. Last week, I looked at the cheapest Cottonelle toilet paper. This week, it’s Charmin’s turn!
When I surveyed folks about their favorite toilet papers, many told me that they’d never consider a switch from their beloved Charmin. If you’re loyal to Charmin, you probably want to know the best place to buy the cheapest Charmin toilet paper. This post seeks to help you find the best price on Charmin toilet paper.
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – My Investigation
I checked a variety of stores to investigate their prices. I looked at:
- Discount Stores: Walmart, Target
- Grocery store: Kroger
- Dollar stores: Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree
- Warehouse stores: Costco, Sam’s Club
- Online: Amazon.com
Note that the local prices I’m quoting are near Columbus, OH. I’m sure prices vary by region, but the comparisons will likely still apply.
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Size Variations
The first thing I discovered is that Charmin has MANY different roll sizes, package sizes, and even sheet sizes. Wouldn’t you think that every sheet of Charmin toilet paper is the same size? I did, but they’re not! Most are 4″ wide x 3.92″ long, but the Charmin Ultra Soft sheets from Costco are 4.5″ wide x 4″ long.
The Charmin rolls came in so many sizes! Here are the sizes that I saw:
- 154 – Double
- 176 – Double Plus, aka Family Roll
- 198 – Giant
- 231 – Jumbo
- 308 – Mega
- 352 – Mega Plus
What in the world?! If I were a skeptical person, I’d think the Charmin folks were trying to confuse people. It’s like they don’t want you to know how much you’re really paying!
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Comparing Prices
If all the sheet sizes were the same, I could easily compare prices between stores by looking at the price per 1,000 sheets. Since Costco has a different sheet size, I will need to compare square footage as well. Many people say they’ll use the same number of sheets regardless of the width of the sheet, so square footage might be irrelevant to some. Regardless, I will look at the price per 1,000 sheets, except in the case of Costco, where I’ll also examine price per 100 square feet.
Another item to note was that package sizes and prices were the same for Charmin Ultra Strong and Charmin Ultra Soft, except in the cases of Sam’s Club and Costco (which only carries Ultra Soft). For the other stores, I will not differentiate between the soft and strong varieties.
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Discount Stores
Walmart and Target both carried a package of 36 rolls that look VERY similar until you read the fine print. The packages actually contain:
- Walmart: 36 DOUBLE rolls of 154 each for $16.98
- Target: 36 DOUBLE PLUS rolls of 176 each for $20.49 (regular price, but sales are common)
When I look at the unit prices, here’s what I get:
- Walmart: $16.98/(5544 sheets/1000)=$3.06 per 1,000 sheets
- Target: $20.49/(6336 sheets/1000)=$3.23 per 1,000 sheets
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Grocery & Dollar Stores
Next, I checked at the grocery and dollar stores around my area. Again, the different package sizes were overwhelming! For simplicity, I’m only listing the most economical package for each store.
- Kroger regular price: $16.99/(3696 sheets/1000)=$4.60 per 1,000 sheets
- Kroger sale price: $15.99/(4560 sheets/1000)=$4.33 per 1,000 sheets
- Family Dollar: $5/(924 sheets/1000)=$5.41 per 1,000 sheets
- Dollar General: $9.95/(2464 sheets/1000)=$4.04 per 1,000 sheets
- Dollar Tree: Does not carry Charmin.
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Sam’s Club
Unlike Costco, Sam’s Club carries both varieties of Charmin with standard size sheets. To keep us on our toes, the two varieties have different-sized rolls and different prices, though. Here are the two packages they offer:
- Charmin Ultra Strong, 30 rolls of 308 sheets each. This package is regularly $24.98 and is on sale for $20.98 (which is a great price!).
- Charmin Ultra Soft, 24 rolls of 352 sheets each. This package is $22.48 (with no current sale).
The Sam’s Club packages advertise “700+ sheets free” on the Ultra Strong and “800+ sheets free” on the Ultra Soft. I’m not sure if these packages are actually bigger than usual or if that’s just a marketing gimmick.
Here is the cost breakdown for comparison:
- Sam’s Club Charmin Ultra Strong regular price: $24.98/(9240 sheets/1000)=$2.70 per 1,000 sheets
- Sam’s Club Charmin Ultra Strong sale price: $20.98/(9240 sheets/1000)=$2.27 per 1,000 sheets
- Sam’s Club Charmin Ultra Soft regular price: $22.98/(8448 sheets/1000)=$2.66 per 1,000 sheets
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Amazon.com
After searching the web, I found that Amazon.com had the best online prices. They do not offer Charmin for subscribe & save. Instead, they offer a Prime member exclusive package. Here’s the breakdown of the packages:
- Prime exclusive package of 48 double rolls (154 sheets) with a price ranging from around $24-27. Currently, there is also a $2 coupon available on this package. This package and price are the same for Ultra Soft and Ultra Strong.
- Package of 24 Mega rolls (308 sheets) with prices ranging from around $23-27. The current $2 coupon is also available for these packages. The price seems to sometimes be different for Ultra Soft and Ultra Strong for this package.
Although these packages have different sized rolls, they actually contain exactly the same number of sheets (7392). The prices seem to fluctuate often so either one could be the best deal at the time.
Here’s the cost range:
- Amazon.com: $23-27/(7392 sheets/1000)=$2.50-3.65 per 1,000 sheets
Amazon.com prices vary frequently, but it looks like you could expect to pay around $3 per 1,000 sheets, which is pretty good. The links below should always display the current prices:
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Costco
In my discussions about toilet paper with people, many complained about the fact that Costco only carries Charmin Ultra Soft. There are many Charmin Ultra Strong lovers who are unhappy with Costco! Costco is also the only place that offers larger sheets, as explained above. The Costco package of Charmin Ultra Soft has 30 rolls with 231 large sheets each. This is a smaller package than Sam’s Club offers (6930 sheets at Costco vs. 8448 sheets at Sam’s Club). The Costco package is regularly priced at $21.99 but is currently on sale for $17.59. That’s quite a deal! Here’s the breakdown:
- Costco regular price: $21.99/(6930 sheets/1000)=$3.17 per 1,000 sheets
- Costco sale price: $17.59/(6930 sheets/1000)=$2.54 per 1,000 sheets
Costco prices appear higher than Walmart’s and Sam’s but if you compare square footage, the picture is a bit different. Here’s a ranking of prices per 100 square feet:
- Costco sale price: $2.03 per 100 square feet
- Sam’s club: $2.45 per 100 square feet
- Costco regular price: $2.54 per 100 square feet
- Amazon’s price range: $2.50-3.65 per 100 square feet
- Walmart: $2.83 per 100 square feet
Cheapest Charmin Toilet Paper – Bottom Line
Wow, that is a whole lot of numbers! So what does it all mean? Where should you buy your Charmin if you don’t want to go chasing after sales and coupons? Here’s a quick ranking of your options:
- Costco & Sam’s Club: $2.54-$3.17 per 1,000 sheets (with larger sheets at Costco)
- Amazon.com: $2.50-$3.65 per 1,000 sheets
- Walmart: $3.06 per 1,000 sheets
- Target: $3.23 per 1,000 sheets (and sometimes has sales)
- Grocery stores: $4.33-$4.60 per 1,000 sheets
- Dollar Stores: $4.04-$5.14 per 1,000 sheets
The price ranges for Charmin are not as large as when I looked for the cheapest Cottonelle toilet paper. Still, you can definitely save some money by not buying your toilet paper at the grocery store or dollar stores. A wholesale club is a great option, but Amazon, Walmart, and Target are good too. It certainly wouldn’t be worth buying a club membership to only get the best price on Charmin toilet paper.
Do you love Charmin toilet paper? Where have you found good prices?